Saturday, September 15, 2012

THE FLOWER READER by Elizabeth Loupas

Publisher: New American Library
Date published: April 3rd, 2012
ISBN: 978-0-451-23581-7
Historical Fiction
Paperback
Obtained by publisher
Reviewed by Dawn


Rinette Leslie has a very special gift. She can divine the future from flowers. It is a rare and ancient gift she has but it doesn’t prepare her for the turmoil that comes when the Queen Regent dies and finds herself with a trunk full of dark secrets everyone wants. Now she needs all her strength as she fights not just for justice for her murdered husband but for herself as she can trust no one other than herself and the flowers she divines from.

This was the first book by this author I have read and I have got to admit, it was a very enjoyable story. I never knew that you could divine from flowers and the author does a wonderful job in creating a unique story setting for this aspect. The characters were amusing, enjoyable and very unique among themselves and then some. I found myself chuckling a few times at their antics as much as I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen to Rinette in this mad world that was highland politics.

What really cemented it for me was how this author delivers a heroine that stood on her own two feet, combined flower magic with Highland politics and added a dash of revenge as well to the mix. Stir it all together and you get a story that leaves you eager for more. The author uses the time of Mary, Queen of Scots reign as a lush backdrop and it suits the storyline perfectly. Rinette is motivated by revenge & by love. She finds herself deep into the politics that made up that time as ruthless men tried to get the secrets she was entrusted with, her husband was mysteriously murdered and she demands justice before she delivers anything to anybody. Wow what a woman was all I could think when I read those scenes. This is one heroine that made sure everyone knew she could stand on her two feet which made me cheer in glee.

THE FLOWER READER is a lush, entertaining ride from start to finish in a time period that is as tempestuous as it is enlightening. Ms. Loupas delivers a stellar story that I can’t wait to read again. I look forward to reading more from this author in the future. Now I need to check out her backlist of books to see what tempts my imagination.


THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF THIS BOOK. THIS IS AN OBJECTIVE UNBIASED REVIEW

No comments: